Rough Draft…

Ever since I was younger I loved to write, whether it was my own stories, or the ones I had to do in school. Spelling was fun until the teacher started grading it. As the years went on, writing was going to change dramatically. Learning the rules on how to write was going to help me become a better writer. Writing was my favorite subject in school and since it was I had to learn how. The only way to learn is to start everything from the beginning.

The first impression I had with writing was enjoyable. I got to learn how to write my name and make silly sentences with words from a word bank. Back in kindergarten I use to write my name the way I said it. The reason why I spelled it different was because everyone, including the teacher said my name wrong. My teacher had to write my name out in the paper since that was going to be an important task throughout my life. After she wrote my name out, she gave me a blue stencil with letters and I traced my name. I also had to write it out for myself. The teacher made writing our names a project; we had to make nametags for our tables. We got to decorate it however we liked to. I loved doing that project that day. While riding the bus home I couldn’t think of anything else then telling my mom how much fun I had in class with the project the teacher gave us. After that day I knew that not every day was going to be like that one.

In first grade it was all about spelling. Whether it was sounding each word out or just guessing. I always sounded the words out but I always ended up adding extra letters to the words. Then one day the teacher announced that there would be a spelling test for the next week. The fact that I didn’t know what a test was got me a little nervous. I thought it was classwork that got graded a little harder. There was one word that I constantly misspelled which was because, I always spelt it becos. Each night I went home and studied hard. I made my sisters say the word out loud and I would spell it back to them. When they didn’t want to help me study, I would write the word over and over again. The more I studied the better my grades were. I always tried my best to get that sticker on the top left hand of the paper even though I didn’t always get it, when I did I was the happiest girl. My parents placed every test on the refrigerator but when they saw I was getting them constantly, they stopped. I knew moving up to the next grade was going to consist of much more than just spelling tests.

In Mrs. Hernández second grade class we would always talk about nature. It seemed to be her favorite topic since she spent most of the class talking about it. She made the whole class write about it after watching videos of different parts of nature. I always made up my own stories, but Mrs. Hernández told me I was not following directions. Directions were also a new concept that I had to understand and follow. Having a good imagination helped me out a lot with my stories. The next elementary school years weren’t going to be as fun as the ones before. It seemed like every year that went on, English class got more and more complicated.

One thought on “Rough Draft…

1. Of course, I’m always interested to read about writing :), but I’m not quite sure how this one connects to CC or P. Did you mean to go on to other grades? If not, I;m not sure why you stopped and grade 2. You do seem to be writing about problems (how the things schoolteachers made you do interfered with your love of writing, or at least that seems to be the point?) If so, did you persist in your love of writing, or was it killed/damaged? If you persisted, what allowed you to do so? (I’m just throwing out some questions to help you decide what you might say about this. Also, your time frame seems quite long here, so that you don;t have the room to fully describe an experience. Could you narrow this to one key experience? Or if you’re getting at changers over time, could you come yp with a few *specific* moments?

(Some proofreading issues with spelling and verb forms.)